Interview transcription can be used by a wide variety of Industries, Sectors and Specialities. This can vary from medical or scientific interviews, student interviews for dissertation, police interviews, research interviews or even an interview with your favourite celebrity!
Not only is accurate interview transcription useful for archiving and record keeping, but it can also be used as a great resource for keeping people informed and up to date with the latest news and current events regarding you or your company.
No matter what industry you happen to be in, selecting and using a quality transcription company is important. Here are some of the things you should look for when choosing which company to outsource to:
- Experienced Transcriptionists. Although many people are able to touch type – this is not the same as transcription! Look for a company that uses transcriptionists with an absolute minimum of two years’ experience (we recommend and use transcriptionists with at least five years’ experience). This means that your interview will be transcribed by a typist with a trained ear and impeccable grammar, punctuation, spelling and speed. This kind of skill can only come with time, so check with your shortlisted transcription services before you hand your important audio files over to them.
- Reliable Transcription Services. Finding a reliable service can be more difficult than it seems! One of the best ways to find a reliable service is through recommendations. Do you know anyone who uses a transcription company on a regular basis and is happy with their work? If so, find out who they use! If you don’t know anyone else who uses a transcription company, why not do your research online. There are literally hundreds of review sites, forums and networks who can help you find a reliable service for your interview transcription.
- Industry Specific Transcription. You may not realise how many technical terms and industry jargon is used in your field of work. Finding a transcriptionist with industry specific knowledge is extremely important if you want a high quality, accurate transcript of your interviews. When looking for a transcription service, ask them if they have a secretary who has experience in your industry and if so, could they provide you with some CV’s to peruse? A reputable transcription service will be happy to do this.
- Your own Secretary, (for regular clients). If you plan to use a transcription service on a long term basis, it is a good idea to ask for a regular secretary. That way you will be able to make them aware of specific jargon, layouts and the way you like things done. You can also build a good, highly productive working relationship.
- Prompt Transcription Services. The business world just keeps getting faster and chances are you needed your transcripts back and your reports written yesterday! When looking for and selecting a transcription company, you should make sure that they have the speed and capacity to deal with the work load you give them. Make them aware of your required turnaround time or deadline and ensure that they can deliver on time = every time.
- Transcript and Data Security. You don’t have to be involved in the legal or medical sector to need confidential transcription or data security. Make sure that your chosen Transcription service uses secure data transfer and is registered with The Data Protection Act (DPA) and compliant with The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). You can also ask them to provide and sign a non-disclosure or confidentiality agreement if you feel it is needed. Don’t feel that you can’t ask how and where they store your data as well as what they do with it once they have finished your work.
- A Wide Selection of Transcript Formats. There are a wide range of different layouts and formats that you might need for your transcript. Your chosen transcription company should be able to provide you with a range of options with regard to layout, formatting and presentation.
Intelligent Verbatim Transcription
Two column Time Coded Transcription
Three Column Time Coded Transcription
Transcription For Video Including Captions
Basic Script Layout
Transcription with Nuances Included
Custom and Bespoke Templates
- Proofreading Services. Your transcription service provider should always offer a proofreading service. This is especially important for those who are in the medical or legal sector. Transcripts with multiple or even what seem like minor errors can have catastrophic repercussions if you are involved in certain industries. So even if the cost is higher, it is always worth investing in a company that provides an additional proofreading service.
- Always available. Work doesn’t always come in when you want it to. Often, it does come in when you don’t want it to! This is why you should look for a transcription company that offers services that are 24 hours and 7 days a week. This can be a really useful service for those who often have to pay their staff double time for staying on late and working extra hours.
- A friendly and Efficient Service. Having a real person on the other end of the phone or available over email can really make a difference. Especially if you’re stressed out and need a service or advice quickly. Using a transcription service that offers good customer service and is willing to go that extra mile is really important and worth shopping around for. So keep your eyes open and try to find a company that will listen to your needs and provide you with the transcription service you deserve!
So, those are my tips on how to find a great transcription service for your interviews. I hope you enjoyed reading it and that it will help you get a good idea of what to look for and what to avoid!
If you have any questions concerning our transcription services or would like to receive a quote, please feel free to contact us at any time, we are always happy to help.